Forklifts NSW

Getting your forklift licence in NSW

To operate forklifts in NSW, you must have undergone the necessary training to perform high risk work and hold a current forklift licence.

WorkCover issues national licences to perform high risk work which includes operating forklifts. High risk work licences are recognised Australia-wide.

You must be assessed by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) using the relevant ‘assessment instrument’ in a realistic workplace scenario.

You must have a high risk work licence to operate both of the following types of forklifts in NSW:

Forklift truck (LF)

Covers the operation of a powered industrial truck equipped with a mast and an elevating load carriage to which is attached a pair of forkarms or other attachment.

Order-picking forklift truck (LO)

Covers the operation of a powered industrial truck of a type where the operator’s control arrangement is incorporated with the load carriage/lifting media, and elevates with it.

See WorkCover’s High Risk Work Licences page for more information including eligibility.

Only Registered training organisations (RTOs) approved by WorkCover can deliver training and assessment for high risk work licences in NSW. Search for a WorkCover approved RTO near you in NSW: High risk work – registered training organisation search.

Information from WorkCover High Risk Work.

Please contact us for more information about our forklifts in NSW.